08 May ‘Opening the Gates’ Conference
Full day conference on the topic of LGBTQ inclusion in the Jewish community organized in the framework of the Budapest Pride Festival. Lectures, panel-discussions, Jewish text study, workshops with local and international professionals in Hungarian and English language.
How much do we know about LGBTQ people and communities? How inclusive is the Jewish community of Hungary. An LGBTQ Jewish community member has the same opportunities for community life? What does tradition say about the topic – are there more interpretations? What are the (Jewish) values which promote LGBTQ inclusion? How a community can truly become inclusive?
Besides the collective learning opportunity, the goal of the conference is to foster dialog about a topic that is rarely discussed in community frameworks. Throughout the conference participants will have the chance to:
– learn about the situation of LGBTQ people and communities in the Hungarian society and the Jewish community
– take a brief look at the possible interpretations of Jewish tradition
– get to know inclusive communities
– discover tools and best practices for communities to become inclusive
– meet local and international organizations working in the field of education, awareness raising and LGBTQ advocacy
The conference is linked to a forum series on LGBTQ inclusion which was initiated last year by the Balint JCC and the Mozaik Hub. So far 20 communal leaders, activists and experts from the field participated in the forum meetings. The long term goal of the forum is to contribute to an attitude change in the Jewish community regarding inclusion.
Date: July 9, 2017 10.00-18.30
Venue: CEU, Nádor street 9.